MILL BAY MAGIC
RELAX AND RETUNE IN PARADISE
This luxury waterfront property has views from every aspect of the house that will just simply take your breath away. Having a northerly aspect, the property is constantly bathed in sunshine and combined with a gentle sea breeze creates a wonderfully refreshing ambiance.
Mill Bay and Mangonui Harbour are within minutes walk of the house. These are sheltered bays, ideal for swimming, fishing and rock hopping in search of seashells. The area is an abundant natural playground, filled with birdlife and is perfectly safe for children with parental guidance.
The elegant minimalist layout of the property is beautifully versatile, making it the perfect luxury holiday retreat for couples, families and friends wanting to enjoy the local surroundings.
THE FINER THINGS
EXPLORE NEAR AND FAR
THE PERFECT BASE FOR AN ADVENTURE
Mill Bay is the perfect base for exploring the beauty of Northland. You can do as much or as little as you like while staying here. Start your day with fresh coffee sitting on the deck watching the boats in the bay and enjoying the morning sunshine.
As the day warms up you can stroll down to the water for a paddle. You can relax in the comfortable wicker chairs looking out over the bay and curl up with a book or just enjoy the views while you relax in the spa pool and sip a cold glass of wine on the deck.
In the evening take a leisurely walk into Mangonui and try out one of the local restaurants for a delicious dinner while looking out over Mangonui harbour.
If you don’t feel like going out, the house has a smart TV with Netflix – ideal for a movie night, combined with the Bose sound system to cover all music genres and of course Wi-Fi throughout.
OUT AND ABOUT
DO AS MUCH OR AS LITTLE AS YOU LIKE
Feel like getting out and about instead, here are some suggestions:
- Walk – Take in the stunning 360° views from the top of Rangikapiti Pa, only a 5 minute walk from the car park for those who don’t fancy a hike, and which provides panoramic views over the Mangonui Harbour Coopers Beach and across Doubtless Bay to the Karikari Peninsula.
- Fishing – there is good fishing from the wharf in Mangonui Harbour which is five minute walk from the house or there are charter boats offering fishing trips which also leave from the wharf.
- Swimming – safe swimming at the long sandy beaches of Coopers Beach are only a few minutes drive away or you’re welcome to take a dip in the waters of Mill Bay but the Bay is stone and shell so beach shoes are a good idea.
- Sandy Beaches – Doubtless Bay is all about the gorgeous sandy beaches and crystal clear water. The following beaches are all just a short drive away, the nearest is Coopers Beach at just 2 minutes by car, followed by Cable Bay, Taipa. The Karikari Peninsula is about a 25min drive away from Mill Bay Magic and is host to 7 stunning swimming beaches. Matai Bay the most famous of all has some fantastic snorkelling too. Rangiputa Beach is dubbed ‘the Fiji of NZ’ with it’s white squeaky sand.
- Heritage Trail – Beginning and ending at the historic Mangonui Courthouse, the Mangonui Heritage Trail provides a glimpse of the great wealth of Māori and European history associated with this area.
- Rock Pools and shell collecting – explore the rocky edges of the bay, ideal for children and you can take home a beach memento.
- Visit the local winery – Dancing Petrel Vineyard is located 5mins drive away, where the iron enriched clay and soil in the area, north facing slopes and the microclimate of Paewhenua Island provide fantastic growing conditions and produce Pinot Gris, Rose and Viognier wines.
- Retail therapy – Mangonui offers a delightful selection of boutique gift and clothing shops including The Flax Bush, Antonetta’s, Gloss, Moana Blue NZ, The Wharf Store, The Arts & Crafts Gallery and a charming craft market featuring local work in the Mangonui village hall every Saturday morning.
- Relaxing – you can easily find yourself a quiet spot on the property to hideaway but there is also a Massage therapist located within walking distance of the house in Mangonui Village.
- Golf – Kauri Cliffs Golf Course, currently ranked #37 in the world and the championship-standard 18-hole Carrington Golf Course are both a short drive away.
- Gym Workout / Yoga – Mangonui Health and Fitness is just a five minute drive away. It looks out over Doubtless Bay and Coopers Beach and boasts some of the best views of any gym in New Zealand. There are Yoga classes at the Women’s Collective in Mangonui (next door to the Flax Bush)
For more ideas and for places to eat locally visit our ‘things to do‘ page.